Conservatory and Camellias
The 6th Duke of Devonshire commissioned Samuel Ware to design a large conservatory on in the 1810s. Completed in 1813, the conservatory was the longest ever built at 302ft (96m) and the forerunner of several large glasshouses, culminating in the magnificent Crystal Palace, London.
The Conservatory is famous for its camellia collection, with some trees surviving from the Duke’s historic specimens. It is home to one of two surviving examples of the rare ‘Middlemist Red’ camellia in the world.
This semi-circular garden, bordered with evergreens, with geometric flower beds cut into it, was designed by Lewis Kennedy and laid out in 1812 for the 6th Duke of Devonshire. It is an important example of the massed bedding system and 19th century experiments into colour theory. The garden is being beautifully restored and provides an elegant setting for the 6th Duke’s Conservatory.
The Walled Garden was originally the kitchen garden for Moreton Hall, a mansion built in 1682-4. It was incorporated into the estate by the 6th Duke of Devonshire in 1812.
Today the restored walled garden is used by our community gardening volunteers and school groups. It is open to the public for special events and open days.
The only remaining original building in the Patte d’oie, the Rustic House was probably designed by Lord Burlington in about 1719. From the late 18th century, the Rustic House contained a bust of Emperor Napoleon (now in Chiswick House), which was acquired by Georgiana, wife of the 5th Duke of Devonshire. The avenue leading to the Rustic House became known as Napoleon’s Walk.