Chiswick House & Gardens Trust – London in Bloom 2019 Award Winners
London in Bloom provides regional awards and forms part of the Royal Horticultural Society Britain in Bloom campaign. Formed in 1967 over 350 parks, gardens and communities have been judged this summer across London. The annual awards are where London in Bloom celebrates the efforts of communities, parks and individuals who do so much to make London a special place to live, work and visit.
Chiswick House and Gardens Trust entered the London in Bloom Heritage Parks and Gardens category and London in Bloom Walled Garden of the year category.
We are delighted to announce that Chiswick House and Gardens Trust have been awarded the following London in Bloom Awards:
- Heritage Parks & Gardens of the year 2019 – Gold and overall category winner
- Walled Garden of the year 2019 – Gold and overall category winner
- Our Community 2019 – Gold – The Chiswick House Kitchen Garden Volunteers
- Our Community 2019 – Silver Gilt – Goosefoot Volunteers
- RHS ‘It’s Your Neighbourhood Award’ for the Chiswick House & Gardens Goosefoot volunteers – Thriving
- RHS ‘It’s Your Neighbourhood Award’ for the Chiswick House Kitchen Garden volunteers – Outstanding
- LIB Allotment Site Award 2019
- RHS IYN National Certificate of Distinction – The Kitchen Garden Volunteers
This is the second year that the Trust has been awarded the overall category winner in the Walled Garden award and the fourth consecutive year which it has won the Heritage Park of the Year award. The team also picked up The LIB Allotment Site Award 2019, a discretionary award from the LIB Trustees given to one entry across London.
The judges said ‘Overall, the site is exemplary and an asset to those fortunate to have it as a local green space and to those who visit from further afield ‘
The 64-acre Grade I listed Estate is maintained by a small team comprising of the Garden Estate Manager, a Kitchen Gardener, two Gardeners and one Ranger who work with over 50 volunteers to garden the walled garden, formal gardens and conservation works throughout. In partnership with Head Gardener and Gavin Jones Grounds Maintenance who maintain all lawns, hedges, sports facilities and litter.
Geraldine King CHGT Garden Estate Manager comments
‘I am honoured to lead a passionate and dedicated team of gardeners and volunteers. Their endeavours have been rewarded with these titles and results. The support of all of the Trust team, Gavin Jones and our partnerships with various other organisations locally and nationally have also been recognised. What a fantastic team!’
Caroline Busby CHGT Director comments
“Chiswick House & Gardens are delighted to once again be recognised for the hard work and care taken to maintain this heritage estate. We are very proud to have achieved so many awards this year and at such a high standard and thank all those who contributed to the success.”