Visitors are welcome to picnic in the Gardens and there are several dog-free areas for informal picnicking. We welcome informal small picnics in the Gardens except near the cricket ground when matches are in progress. Above all, please be considerate, so other people can enjoy the park too. We hope you enjoy your day in Chiswick House Gardens. It’s always a good idea to check our website to see what other events are happening in the area of the garden you would like to visit. The gardens are used by many people for different reasons and we kindly ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- The recommended maximum group size is 20.
- Please avoid group picnicking within the Toddlers Play Area.
- Barbecues, or any form of cooking is not permitted. As well as being a fire hazard, abandoned barbecues can be a hazard to other visitors and to wildlife. There is a catering outlet in the garden selling a selection of hot and cold food. Please contact the Chiswick House Rangers to report a fire on 07468 524874.
- Glass – Please ensure that you use plastic cups and bottles only. Broken glass is a hazard to other visitors and wildlife and very difficult to remove.
- Litter – Please collect all of your litter together to take home with you
- Playing ball games – ball games are not permitted in the vicinity of buildings.
- Playing music or other entertainment is not permitted.
- Balloons – These should not be brought into the gardens.
- Childrens parties – Entertainers, treasure or scavenger hunts may not operate within the public space. The Western Walled Garden may be hired for children’s parties, office parties or charity events. Please contact the Trust Office on +44 (0) 20 3141 3357 if you would like to hire this space.
- Collecting or soliciting money – if yours is a charity picnic, any collections must take place outside of the park boundary.
- Corporate advertising and distribution of leaflets – if yours is a staff picnic you will not be permitted to display any corporate banners or distribute promotional material.
- Fixing anything to trees or driving anything into the ground is not permitted.
- Erecting tents, marquees, tables or other structures is not permitted.
- Please do not remove wood from the gardens. Cut wood and logs have been purposefully been left around the gardens to form habitat piles and dead hedging to encourage insects and wildlife. The removal of wood for any purpose, including collecting firewood, is a criminal offence.
- Please help us by not bringing dogs, buggies, scooters or food & drink into the conservatory.
We welcome dogs to Chiswick House Gardens. Please help us to protect the interests of children, picnickers and other visitors as well as respecting and helping to maintain the Grade 1 listed Gardens.
For site specific information on dog walking at Chiswick House & Gardens:
- Please refer to the map for ‘No Dog’ and ‘Lead only’ areas.
- Dog waste must be cleaned up from all areas of the gardens using bags and the dog waste bins.
- For hygiene and safety reasons dogs are not allowed in the Cricket pitch area during the cricket season, Café or the Walled Kitchen Gardens.
- Please do not let your dog chase or disturb any wildlife within the Gardens or the lake. Dogs may enter the lake area but owners must not throw any objects into the water. Please help us by not bring dogs into the walled garden.
- With the exception of assistance dogs, dogs are not allowed inside the café and must be kept on a short lead in the vicinity of the café building. The café has a covered seated terrace where dog owners with their pets are most welcome to enjoy the new facility.
The Trust works closely with CHOW (Chiswick House Organised Dog Walkers) to ensure the enjoyment of the gardens for dog walkers. The Chiswick House Wardens, Volunteer Wardens and Safer Neighbourhood Police Team are responsible for the enforcement of the Council Dog Control Orders. For your information and protection please see the London Borough of Hounslow Dog Control Orders.
To help ensure visitor safety and the care and protection of this site, please report incidents or any suspicious behaviour. Assistance and reporting:
- 0746 852 4874 (9am–5pm)
- 0870 770 6880 (5pm–9am quote reference 87021)
Emergency: always dial 999
Professional photographers are required to obtain a licence. Drones and aerial cameras are strictly prohibited. Please contact the Trust office on 020 8742 3905 for guidelines & licence enquiries. See filming & photography.
The Chiswick House Rangers administer Lost Property within the gardens. Please contact the rangers on 07468 524874.